I Let AI Write My Laravel Service Layer — It Worked… Until I Understood What It Actually Did

I Let AI Write My Laravel Service Layer

I tried something dangerous.

I asked AI to generate a full Laravel service layer:

It generated everything in seconds.

Clean code.
Solid structure.
Proper dependency injection.

At first, I was impressed.

Then I looked deeper.

🤖 The Illusion of Architectural Intelligence

AI generated this:


    class OrderService
    {
        public function __construct(
            protected OrderRepository $repository
        ) {}

        public function create(array $data): Order
        {
            return $this->repository->create($data);
        }
    }
   

Looks clean.

But notice something subtle:

The service is just forwarding calls.

No business boundaries.
No domain modeling.
Just abstraction layers stacked.

AI optimized for structure.
Not for meaning.

😳 The Hidden Problem in AI-Generated Laravel Code

AI doesn’t understand your application lifecycle.

It doesn’t understand:

It copies patterns.

It doesn’t reason about system pressure.

💥 Real Example: AI + Transactions

AI generated:


    public function createOrder(array $data): Order
    {
        DB::beginTransaction();

        $order = Order::create($data);

        ProcessOrder::dispatch($order);

        DB::commit();

        return $order;
    }

Looks correct.

But remember from previous post:

Queued jobs rehydrate models.

If your queue worker runs fast enough,
the job may execute before commit is visible in another DB connection.

In high-load systems?

Race conditions.

AI didn’t account for isolation levels.

🤯 Where Laravel + AI Becomes Dangerous

AI encourages:

  • More abstraction

  • More service layers

  • More repository patterns

  • More DTO wrapping

But Laravel already gives:

  • Active Record (Eloquent)

  • Container auto-resolution

  • Request validation

  • Resource transformers

Over-architecting Laravel reduces clarity.

AI doesn't know when not to abstract.

🧠 The Real Senior-Level Insight

AI is incredible at:

  • Pattern replication

  • Syntax correctness

  • Boilerplate acceleration

It is terrible at:

  • Context awareness

  • System constraints

  • Performance reasoning

  • Debug prediction

Laravel feels simple because it hides complexity.

AI feels smart because it hides uncertainty.

Combine both blindly?

You get beautiful systems that fail under load.

🔥 The Real Power Move (Laravel + AI Done Right)

Instead of asking:

“Generate full architecture”

Ask:

  • “What are the performance tradeoffs here?”

  • “Where could this break under concurrency?”

  • “What happens if queue runs before transaction commits?”

  • “How does this interact with container resolution?”

Use AI to challenge assumptions.
Not to replace architecture thinking.

😱 The Most Dangerous Scenario

Junior devs copy AI-generated Laravel structure.
Senior devs don’t review deeply.
System scales.
Edge cases appear.

No one fully understands the layers anymore.

That’s technical debt born from intelligence tools.

🧠 Final Thought

Laravel gives you expressive power.

AI gives you accelerated generation.

But:

Speed without architectural awareness creates invisible complexity.

The future Laravel developer isn’t the one who uses AI most.

It’s the one who understands what AI doesn’t understand.


Comments